Saturday, February 21, 2015

Review: Black Ice

I loved Becca Fitzpatrick's "Hush Hush" series so when I saw Black Ice, I immediately added it to my TBR list.  The teaser was interesting and I was looking for a fun, fast-paced story to change things up a bit.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Britt Pheiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn’t prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

Britt is forced to guide the men off the mountain, and knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there…and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target.

But nothing is as it seems, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally?


My Review:
The drama started almost at the very beginning and the story moved fast and furious until its final moments.  I took it to the gym with me and stayed on the treadmill for over an hour because I didn't want to stop reading.  Britt is a typical young girl who still pined over her ex-boyfriend and didn't always make the best decisions. She was also however, smart and savvy and didn't give herself enough of a chance to prove this to herself.  On the mountain, when she and Korbie are kidnapped during a blizzard, she has to rise to the occasion to stay alive and she does this admirably.  She ended up being a strong character and learning a lot about herself as an individual.

Was this book incredibly deep and emotional? Not really, but that didn't in any way take away from the fun of reading it.  It was written as a fast-paced thriller with a little bit of romance and that is exactly what I was looking for.  I had my theories early on about how the story was going to turn out and I was pretty close with my predictions on who the real killer was.  I really liked how the author ended the book and then included an epilogue that took place a year later to finish out the story.  This was a bit more realistic than many stories where, after all the drama, everything wraps up perfectly with a bow on top.  

This would make a great beach read as it isn't too thick and doesn't require a huge amount of concentration. Thoroughly enjoyable.  I will definitely continue to pick up any new books by this author.

                                                                                                                                        post signature

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh~ I haven't read any of Becca's works before. Hush Hush is being sold in every book outlets here but it never got my attention. BUT I THINK THIS BOOK DOES. Gonna add this on my TBR. Thanks~ Nice review, by the way.

    Also, I nominated you on Liebster Blog Award. You can see all the rules and the questions you have to answer here: http://amiabooklover.blogspot.com/2015/03/liebster-blog-award.html

    Looking forward on your post~
    Thanksss

    ReplyDelete